Heli`s and joysticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heli`s and joysticks

I use the logitech Freedom 2.4 wireless joystick...I just got it set up over this weekend, and I can control jets just fine, I can actually do some crazy manuvers...like spirals, upwards loop, or the inverse downward loop....but controlling helicopters is another thing, I'm having problems keeping it level whill still moving towards my target, and landing is just impossible as of right now. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comment

I use the X45 joysick and throtle stick combo for all my flying. Flying the helicoptor with the joystick is harder to get the hang of vs flying with a mouse IMO. Why? because with the keyboard and mouse you basically take your hands of the controls and the damn thing almsot auto hovers. With the joystick you have to keep making small adjustments to hover, with a joystick you lsoe altitude faster when you throtle down.

That being said you will be a better pilot in the long run. With this combo I have rarely seen a pilot that can fly better than myself, I don't mean to toot my own horn but with a good copilot, barring a good jet pilot on the other team, we can devistate an opponent.

AND FOR GOD SAKES ALL YOU KIDS PLAYING OUT THERE LET SOME ONE COPILOT FOR YOU. You will be eaten alive by an enemy helicoptor with one.

Comment

I don't have a joystick but i find it easy to fly heli with keyboard and mouse same with the jet, easy enough.

Comment

alot easier

Comment

Originally posted by JJ320
            With the joystick you have to keep making small adjustments to hover, with a joystick you lsoe altitude faster when you throtle down.
            No, just use deadband utility.

Comment

I bought a joystick but hate having it up on my desk. So I went back to the mouse and can do everything a person can do with a joystick but without the clunky POS on my desk. If they had a special chair with the joystick between your legs like a real jet/helo it could be fun. But it would look wierd as your bouncing around in your chair dodging AA fire as your girl walks in and sees your arm in your lap and your quarky movements lol.

Comment

As a longtime flightsimmer (Microsoft Flight Simulator, LOMAC, etc.), joystick is the only way to go for me. Besides, the aircraft flight models in BF2 are very much simplified compared to other dedicated-flight sims.

I use a Thrustmaster Top Gun Fox 2 Pro USB joystick for BF2. You can get one new for $25.

-- Dasharatha

Comment

Originally posted by ttopi
                  My fellow clanmates use keyboard (and sometimes mouse) for helos. That alone isn't news for anybody, but the thing is that they use driving wheel pedals for throttle control. Ingenious.

I find that the biggest problem using keyboard is a lack of good throttle control. Of course you can "feather" accelerate button, but it's not the same as using a joystick with a throttle wheel.
                  ,,,asdfs

Comment

Originally posted by BeerStein
                    There is no better way to fly IMHO than with a joystick. I program a couple of the side buttons for my rudders (move left/right) - and the collective is tied to my rolling throttle.

The throttle is the key to the whole animal. Need to have a very sensitive, easy to adjust throttle. You have have perfect hovers and terrain following if you can nail your collective right all the time.

I can almost gaurantee there is no one out there with a K/M that can drop in on someone as fast as I can and hit the hover for my gunner as steady and as fast as I can with my joystick.

I have the logitech force feedback, hard to imagine flying life without it.

I am considering getting that Saitek one mentioned above - but $140 is a bit much for a stick. Although I think when mine was new it was over $150 - but I never had to pay for it - heh. The benefits of formerly working for a gaming company. :P

If you see me flying a jet, you'll think I'm flying with a stick. I still can't get used to a stick.

(Yes, I've been flying with the KB/M.)

Comment

I fly a chopper with a keyboard and mouse.. and rarely do I run up against a pilot that can take me down.

Comment

Working...
                      X